November 16, 2009

Quilled butterfly in a fishbowl

Quilling in a fish bowl, side view

Where do I put my finished quilling, if it's too big for a frame or shadowbox? In a fishbowl!

In addition to arts and crafts, my hobbies include cacti and other succulents. Especially I like those with nocturnal flowers, Epiphyllum one of them. There are many species of Epiphyllum, which are known also as orchid cacti for their large beautiful flowers, or strap cacti for the shape of their stems. The flowers open at night, since they are pollinated by bats and large moths. Here's what an Epiphyllum flower look like (photo courtesy of Кочевница):

Hawk moth on an Epiphyllum flower Quilled butterfly and flower in a fish bowl
Quilling in a fish bowl, flower close-up Quilling in a fish bowl, butterfly close-up

As you can guess, I created a quilled Epiphyllum flower :) I thought that quilling a bat would be too tough, but a large moth was something I could manage.

The flower is almost as big as a real one, so a standard frame or shadowbox would be too small for it. Luckily, my husband got the idea of putting it into a fish bowl. As for me, I like this creative solution a lot. As you can see, I put pebbles on the bottom of the bowl. The moth is mounted on a thin metal wire. Diameter of the fish bowl is 5 1/8''(13cm), wingspan of the butterfly is 2 1/2'' (6.5cm).

If you're into cacti and succulents like me, I can recommend the following book: Complete Book of Cacti & Succulents. I used information from it to write about Epiphyllum in this post.

36 comments:

Şenay- Doğam said...

Harika... çok beğendim..

Sevgiler..

Helen said...

It is truly amazing! The flower and the moth are breathing. Love it!

Inna D. said...

Doğa, Helen! Thank you so much!

BIKY said...

so so beautiful !!

Алёнушка said...

Инна, какая красота!!! Даже засомневалась сначала, думала живое )))))))))))))

Freetany said...

Это просто чудо - меньших слов такая робота не достойна!

Ann Martin said...

Really pretty!

Lori said...

just gorgeous and what a novel idea ...love it ...thanks for sharing
your amazing talent.

Mary said...

Здорово! очень-очень красиво! цветок и бабочка как настоящие! продолжительные аплодисменты...

Светлана В.С. said...

Красота!!!
Прекрасная идея с аквариумом! Действительно, многие объемные работы в рамку никак не поместишь!

Dev said...

simply awesome and mindblowing ...
hats off to you ...

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea! It's delightful.

ButterflyDance said...

Великолепная работа!Не могу передать словами свое восхищение!

Завитушка said...

Ну очень шикарная работа, цветок и матылек великолепны !!!!! Я в шоке, браво!

Inna D. said...

Огромное всем спасибо за тёплые отзывы!

Inna D. said...

Thanks everybody for your sweet comments!

Квасова Ольга (Ольга К) said...

Инна! У меня полный восторг! Вы волшебница! Мотылёк шикарный!

Inna D. said...

Спасибо, Ольга!

Anonymous said...

lovely piece of art
you can fill the bowl with gel wax and attach short wick (not touching paper) and you will have gel candle with quilling art

your work is always inspiring Inna

love
Shanz (shahana)

Madhavi said...

wow just awesome...amazing ...no words to describe......great work.

Inna D. said...

Shanz, Madhavi, thank you both very much!

Shanz, thanks for the candle idea, but I'm not sure it will be safe enough :(

kavitha said...

wow,no words to praise your talent.great work.
i am conducting a card making event in my blog www.kalalayaa-artclub.blogspot.com.
do participate.
thank u
kavi

CathQuillScrap said...

Wow this is truely amazing. I love how you get your petals so even... I don't make my circles anywhere as even as that... maybe I'm just too impatient! I don't suppose you would be willing to share the pattern for this?

irgri said...

потрясающая красота! теряю дар речи..

Inna D. said...

Cathy, thanks for the compliments! I don't keep anything related to my quilling a secret. I just can't go into details sometimes :( Sorry

Kavi, thanks a lot, but I'm too busy these days. Sorry

Inna D. said...

irgri, большое спасибо!

Anonymous said...

Сногсшибательно!!!
Полосатая бабочка вообще выше моего понимания...
И идея с аквариумом просто супер! =)

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! This must be the most beautiful quilling design I've ever seen ^_^ I feel like learning this kind of craft :)

Inna D. said...

Thanks a lot, Dinithi!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fabulous work. Thank you for letting us look at it.

Anonymous said...

im impressed! i love quilling!

Anastasiaw2008@gmail.com said...

Wonderful quilling as always

Inna D. said...

Thank everyone very much!

Bronwyn said...

Impressive quilling and lovely idea for fishbowl display

Unknown said...

ur work is amazing ..cant take my eyes of it... just love ur fine little details

Inna D. said...

Thank you, Neha!